Re: <E36> Tire selection

Matthew (tremmemm@domain.elided) writes:

> Any tire xxx/55/15 is tough to find and expensive.

I think 205/55 R15s, as mentioned below, are still fairly common (it's a
common OE tyre size, also used on various breeds of E30 rim). This is
academic, however, as they're not much use for e36s, being probably too
small (they'll look a bit silly, at any rate).

225/55 15s as we've already established, are fine size- and gearing-wise,
if a bit 'balloon'-like.

<useful comparison table edited out for brevity>
> If you are trying to go for the wide and low profile look, 15" rims won't
cut it.

True. But 16"s and 17"s, in my experience, tend to wreck the ride,
especially if you buy budget (read: heavy) wheels and tyres without beefing
up the standard suspension to cope with the extra weight. It depends what
you want out of the car; maybe get some ordinary 205/60 touring tyres for
the 15" rims, and a different set for the track.

You do get a much better choice of performance-oriented tyre at 16" and 17"
fitments. Although I remember when a 55-series tyre was termed "ultra
low-profile..."

Regards

Andrew T
'95 318is.