Paint Chips after re-paint

After going through some yellow street paint accidentally, I had my red
1993 325i hood re-painted by a reputable body shop in July 1997.  But
recently, I am noticing lots and lots of tiny chips all over the front of
the hood.  Since most of my driving is around town, I am beginning to
question the quality of the paint job.  Does anybody have experience with
paint jobs?  Are they not as good as the factory?  How long should they
last?

Thanks,
Keith Redmore