Re: <E36> Tire selection

Steve (bullseye@domain.elided) asks:

> I need advice from the tire experts on the Digest.  I have a 1994  325is
> with the sport pkg.  This includes the alloy sport pkg wheels that use
> Michelin Pilot HX 225/55/15 tires.  These seem to be very good tires for
> this car, but my tire alternatives are extremely limited..  Almost nobody

> makes this size.

Correct. The only cars that ever used this tyre size as standard or an
option were the E36 and Maserati Biturbos of varying vintages. So the few
225/55s around tend to be very expensive.

> A tire shop has suggested that I can use 205/55/15 tires

This size may be too small (4% smaller circumference). You would need
205/60, with an almost identical circumference to a 225/55, to maintain the
speedo accuracy and suitable gearing. No E36 I've ever driven on 205s -
mine originally, my bro's, dealer loaners etc. - tramlined to any extent.

> Would going with a 50 series tire make a significant difference in speedo

> reading?  There seem to be more brands with a 225/50/15 tire.

Again, probably a bit too small. The circumference of the 225/50 is 4%
smaller than the 225/55. A shorter, stiffer sidewall will help handling in
the dry but, depending on the make and type of tyre, might give you rather
vicious breakaway characteristics in the wet.

The Pilot HX MXM 225/55 isn't a bad tyre at all. In my experience they're
no noisier than most 205s, the ride does not suffer appreciably, and grip
is better (particularly in the dry). But they do tramline a bit, granted,
and there's the expense to consider.

Regards

Andrew T
'95 318is.