1987 L6 HELP

I have a female friend who has bought a 1987 L6 in excellent condition
and is looking for information on its secutity features. She says there
is a grey steel bar under the steering column in the car and it can
pivot. She believes this has something to do with the car's security
system. She has a manual coming (it might be awhile before she gets it),
but needs this information or any information on other security
feartures on the car as soon as possible. I'll fax all answers  to her
and will be greatly appreciated. She REALLY loves this car.

Thanks again