Re: [bmw] condensation in trunk 88 535i

In my 86 e28 535i, the seals around the rear tail lights were the culprit. I removed each of them and coated a thin bead of silicone caulk to both sides of the original seals and snugged the lights back in. This is a easy job and keep in mind a warm garage for the caulk t o cure properly. I had no problems with water in the trunk after that. Good Luck.

Gil

I had the same problem with my Mercedes. I replaced the trunk seal and used silicone sealant on some of the cracks in the rear windshield seal. My trunk would "fill with" water during a good rain. If you replace both seals your problems will most likely go away. My rear windshield is starting to leak again after about a year or so of being sealed with silicone. Most of the time a seal "looks good" but sometimes leaks. The leaks can be due to small cracks in the rubber or the simple problem of being "flattened out" to the point that it does not make contact with the body part it is supposed to seal against.

If your brave and have a nice warm hot dry day to work with you could get in the trunk with a flashlight and have a friend run a slow stream of water over the car and look for where the water is coming in. But seals are cheap and your dignity is not :)

Robert Chase

ray dsilva wrote:

Hi all,
I've been having a great deal of condensation on the inside walls of the trunk. I suspect the rear window seal, although it looks intact.
With an overnight rain there is enough moisture in the trunk to soak up a small bath towel.
Any ideas what might be going on?
thanks
ray