[bmw] re: E28 Dash Gauge Failure

Beefy asks
>I know this is somewhat common with these cars.  Is the usual cause the
degradation of the batteries on the circuit
> board or a problem with the board itself?  Any light that could be shed on
this would be appreciated.

which gauge?

tach and mpg gauge are generally screwed because of the service indicator
board (likely dead nicad batteries)

fuel and temperature gauge are generally screwed up because of a loose nut
holding them to the main circuit board

sometimes there are cold solder joints on the main instrument cluster board,
but the above 2 account for most of the problems