Re:[bmw] Shifting in my 1984 318i

> From: Liz Sayre <esayre@domain.elided>
> Subject: [bmw] Shifting in my 1984 318i
> >   In the second car the shifting is incredibly sloppy but all
the gears are there I think.
Bad shifter bushings

> I don't really have a clue about how transmissions work but my
sense is that the problem is not the transmission but the shifter
itself and probably the bushings - but I'm just guessing.
I think you guess right.

> Should I just buy the whole thing new?
Shift lever rarely wears out, but the rubber joint between the
top and bottom does get loose.  If so replace shifter. Relatively
cheap (less than $50 from the dealer).  ALL the parts and
bushings are maybe $20 total.  Here is a link with some part
numbers, but double check them for your car.  I believe your car
has a sheet metal carrier, instead of an aluminum carrier and may
need different parts.

> Is it really all that much of a performance boost to install
short throw?

No.  You can only shift as fast as the synchromeshs in the tranny
allow you to.  But the feel can be improves, lesss travel, slight
more notchy, more effort.  My wife hates it...I like it in my
318is.  In my 325i track car I have the OEM shifter.

> 4.   I'm no mechanic but I've got my Bentley manuals (for all
my BMWs), how much of a wrench-stud do you
>       have to be to install a new shifter - assuming I own or
can get all the right tools?

Not much.  Only "special" tool is to remove the white bearing
that surrounds the pivot ball on the shifter.  If you look at the
new one you can see how it unlocks and turns to come out.  A
couple of fine flat blade screw drives and maybe an extra hand
and you don't need a tool.

Ric