[bmw] Shifting in my 1984 318i

Hello,

I've got some questions about my 1984 318i 5 speed manual transmission.  This is my second car of the same year and model.  In my original, the shifting is crisp and clean - no wobble or slop in the shifter.  In the second car the shifting is incredibly sloppy but all the gears are there I think.  I mean, I can get from 1st to 5th and into reverse and the car stays in gear and runs.  The problem is finding the gear with the shifter, especially 3rd gear.

I don't really have a clue about how transmissions work but my sense is that the problem is not the transmission but the shifter itself and probably the bushings - but I'm just guessing.

1.   Any suggestions on how to tell if my guesses are correct?

2.   If I'm right about the shigter, is it a good or bad idea to find a used shifter and new bushings?  Should I just
      buy the whole thing new?

3.   How come I can only find a "short throw" shift kit and not the standard one that comes on the vehicle?  Is it
      really all that much of a performance boost to install short throw?

4.   I'm no mechanic but I've got my Bentley manuals (for all my BMWs), how much of a wrench-stud do you
      have to be to install a new shifter - assuming I own or can get all the right tools?

Last thing, I have another very beat up 1984 318i 5-speed.  The body is in awful shape but (miraculously) the engine runs or did when tried starting it in early November.  Anyone need parts or an engine?  If you need it and I've got one, it'd be cheap!

Thanks for the help, I love my BMWs and love reading about all your cars... Enjoy!!

Liz Sayre
1984 318i (2)
1985 528e