[bmw] 528i electrical gremlin

My 75,xxx mile, '99 528 is having an identity crisis!!!  Poor honey thinks its
an old British sports car!
This is a long shot I know, but here are the symptoms; in the order I noticed
them over the last 6-8 months: 1-  Headlights (not xenon) slightly pulsing for
no apparent reason at any speed in any weather and not very freequently.   2-
Steering wheel doesn't always come back into driving position when I turn the
car on, I can do it manually with the control on the column or the memory
position buttons usually takes care of it.  3-  Then the steering
column/memory controls won't bring it back down but the fore/ aft steering
wheel control still works as do the rest of the functions adjustable by the
memory buttons; the wheel is stuck in the highest position now.  4- I sat in
the passenger seat a few weeks back and put the window up, this made the
headlights do their dimming thing again.  Since this is the same thing that
happened in the coldest of MN winter weather last year and during the nice
balmy summer months as well, it seems to be some kind of a short where all the
wiring comes together at a harness or conduit, instead of a freak weather
related thing.  I guess I could check the fuse box first.  The local shop
hasn't had any experience with these symptoms on these cars...yet and doesn't
want to charge me $90/hr. to go through the whole system.  Just had the #2
inspections and no codes came up either.
If anyone has any experience or guidance with something like this, let me
know.  On the bright side.....  At least its still fun to drive.
Thanks in advance,
Ian   612 910 6005