RE:[bmw] When 525i got engine upgrade?

Andrew,
The E36 325i had the new engine (M50, then other variants) from the 92
model year. Excepting the convertible as the 92 325i convertible was the
E30.
The 93 or 94 325i added VANOS (adjustable valve timing), which the 92
does not have.

I have a 92 E36. Great car!! My wife has a 2002 E46. Also great,
although not quite as sharp handling in feeling. This is not an entirely
fair comparison as my car has m3 springs and Koni struts/shocks, whereas
her car has the stock non-Sport package.

I am not sure about the E34 and so will let others speak to it.

Greg