[bmw] When 525i got engine upgrade?

My wife's E28 535i got hit last week, and we're probably looking for a
replacement car.  I've heard that a later E34 525i with the twin-cam,
four-valve six, is a pretty good car.  Early versions of the 525i had the
older single-cam, two-valve timing-belt engine, correct? If so, what's the
first year of the better engine: 1995?  And did the 325i get the better
engine about the same time?  Thanks for any info.

Andrew Watry
Berkeley, CA