Convertible top problem

Hey listers, it's good to be back!  I was subscribed about six years or so ago when I had my Dakar yellow M3, but dropped off when I traded it.

Now, the better half has a 1999 328ic that's having a bit of a problem, so I'm back to see if anyone can share any wisdom on it.  When putting the top down, the unlatching goes fine, the top starts to fold, the boot comes up to about a 45 degree angle, and then everything stops.  It's weird because it doesn't seem to be physically in a bind or anything, it just stops.  Sound familiar, or anything I should check?

Jim Pointer
Kansas City, MO
2002 Dodge Ram HO CTD; 1999 BMW 328ic; 1980 Mercedes 450SL; 1983 Yamaha Virago 500