AFM adjustment

Can anyone offer any seat-of-the-pants guidelines for making sure that an AFM
is accurately adjusted?  I know that the best way to address this is just
leave it alone, but unfortunately it's too late for that.  It's also too late to
mark the wheel before adjustment, because I didn't mark it a year ago when I
began tinkering around with the fuel/air adjustment, and can't remember where
it was originally.

I tuned the car originally (on an analyser) with a vacuum line left off, and
now that I've identified that issue and reattached the line, I'm not sure
which way to go with the toothed wheel inside the unit to get my ratio back to
optimum.  I did a few test-and-tune adjustments on a long trip yesterday, but
could only guage my progress by getting the car back to the fuel consumption
range in which it used to operate with the previous adjustment.  Right now I have
it where it gets roughly 29 MPG on the highway, which is roughly where I was
before attaching the vacuum line.  By going leaner, it would go well beyond 30
MPG, and seemed to 'like it' (ran well), but I'm not sure that would be good
for the engine.  So I went a notch in the 'rich' direction from there.

Can anyone offer any general guidelines, starting points, steps to go through
to guarantee that you have the car in the optimum range?  I would prefer the
'performance' side of the range, as opposed to the economy/mileage' side.

TIA,
Ken Mitchell
Durham, NC