635 Major ignition problem

Group,

Tonight my 6er started having major engine ignition problems.  I need some
help, but I think the DME unit is at the root of the problem.   Here is what
happened.

1.    Started the car earlier today and no problems, engine ran and started
smoothly.  Very low on gas.

2.    5PM started car ok, then I  started to drive off I lost power.  Engine
still running, but felt like engine was missing.  Then it worked fine for
about 15 minutes, then started missing and loss of power.  Also noted black
smoke, light though, from the exhaust.

3.    Idle speed tach bounces and when gas pedal is pushed sputter and maybe
some engine speed advance.  I cannot drive the car now.

What I don't suspect is the fuel enjectors.  It happened in a split second.
Any help and insight would be helpful.

Car has 100k on engine, but has a used DME replace about 60k miles ago.

Al Floer
81 ASP
'00 M Roadster
'96 E36