Re: Thinking of buying an E36 328is...any opinions?

Some comments on Al's additions to Alex's response to the '96 E36 328i
question:

In a message dated 7/2/03 11:24:07 PM, owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 23:16:51 -0400
> From: "Al Floer" <cybercord@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Thinking of buying an E36 328is...any opinions?
>
> I'll add this to Alex's comments.  Since I have owned one since 98 with 26k
> miles on it, I can give personnel experience.  First of all, a car w/22k on
> it is good for some respects, yet problems waiting to happen.
>

> <SNIP>Brakes go out every 25-28k miles.
> This is really dependent on how and where you drive.   And I suspect by "go
out" Al means require a pad/rotor change (easy DIY).   Fluid S/B flushed every
2 years.

<SNIP>I have just had the valves adjusted and the tranny serviced for fluids
and filters.
Valves are hydraulic, and do not require adjustment.   No filters in the
tranny, unless (maybe, don't know for sure) you have an autobox.

> <SNIP>Have had a couple of bulbs go out that the dealer wanted $200 for
> that I fixed in 10 minutes and $1 for the bulb.
> The headlight switch bulb often requires replacement, since its on whenever
the ignition is on.   As Al indicates, it's a quick and easy job (instructions
on Brett Adnerson's website, koalamotorsport.com).   OBC and instruments
lights also fail occassionally, but are a relaitvely easy DIY.

> <SNIP>Replaced the shocks at 82k.  Bilt all around.
To which I'd add rear shock mounts and rear trailing arm bushings at the same
mileage.

> <SNIP>So watch out for the stuff that has not been done. Check for all
> service records, if any, and all repair records for replacement parts.  Have
> mach look over the car real good.
> Excellent advice!

BTW, Alex's point about flooded DME's I thought was an E30 problem, not
E36's?

HTH,

Martin Bullen
'95 M3