Re: Thinking of buying an E36 328is...any opinions?

Al,

Considering that the E36 engines have hydraulic valve tappets, and are self-adjusting, why did you pay to have the valves adjusted?

Known issues with E36s include:

Rear Shock Mounts - these tend to wear out at 30-40k miles
Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - these tend to loosen up after 40k miles
Rear Trailing Arm mounting bolts - these can pull out of the chassis.
Upper radiator hose neck - plastic, will crack after 60k miles. Check it, since age may also be a factor
Seat belt switch - when this fails, your SRS light will come on. The switch tends to go bad over time.
Water pump - your car's water pump may have a plastic impeller, which WILL fail after 60k miles.

Change all lubricants - engine oil and filter, diff oil, trans oil. That way, you'll have a starting point for your own maintenance.

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3
1993 E34 525iT