Re[2]: silicone brake fluid - long response. Pass if you choose.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:19:53 -0400 Diana and Mike Kohlbrenner <kohlbren-m-d@domain.elided> wrote:
> From: LtWacko@domain.elided <LtWacko@domain.elided>

> > ...So what is the advantage of Silisone brake fluid?
> >    It doesn't compress as much as DOT4/3 giving better brake
> >       performance and feel.

> Glycol fluid is pretty much incompressible.

> Somewhere I recall hearing that silicone fluid gets spongy
> at higher temperatures.

the usual presumption is that brake fluid turns compressible at its boiling
point. silicone fluids turn compressible at temps which are lower than
their boiling point.

> >    Has a higher boiling point.
> >    Great for RACINGand RACING BUDGETS!!

> I'm fairly certain they don't use silicone brake fluid for racing.
> They will use fancy $70/liter synthetic fluid, but it's not silicone.

the synthetic motul racing is really cool stuff. what it isn't is silicone.
i know some racers who use silicone fluids, but damn few.

> Silicone seems to only be used by folks with garage queen
> show cars that spend so much on paint jobs that they don't
> want to risk spilling glycol fluid on it.  One of the other traits
> of silicone brake fluid is that it doesn't harm paint.

it's really the only interesting and useful property of the stuff.

richard