[alfa] Intermittent starting Spider

I have an '87 Spider Veloce with an intermittent starting problem that
seems to be worsening over time.  Over the past few months I noticed
what appeared to be a time delay between turning the ignition switch and
the starter engaging.  This delay seemed to occur when the engine was
cold, but it always start.  Now the symptoms have progressed to the
point that I cannot use the ignition switch to engage the starter (when
the engine is cold).  Recently I have had to resort to putting it in
gear, turning the ignition switch on, get it rolling and dumping the
clutch.  After starting, I can let the car run for a minute or two, turn
it off, and it will start using the ignition switch to engage the
starter.  My guess is that something is amiss with the solenoid,
possibly the starter.  Anyone experience this type of problem before?

Paul