[alfa] Shuffle Steer v Overhand steer, a rant

Man it makes me mad to think what idiots we have in charge of testing our new drivers. Overhand steering was developed to accommodate those ridiculously heavy vehicles the Americans called sedans in the 1950s with no power steering (speed knobs anyone?) and it is unbelievable that anyone still uses this potentially dangerous method.

I recall quite vividly a "test" drive I participated in, 1978, when an Italian car salesman was trying to sell me a Lancia Beta Coupe. I really wanted the HPE but the Coupe was on demo. The salesman (the dealership owner actually) took my wife and I for an eye opening ride. He was also an amateur race driver.

The reason Italian cars have their steering wheels tilted with the top of the wheel some distance from the driver is it is totally unnecessary to be able to reach the top of the wheel if you know how to drive Italian style. Frank drove with both heels off the floor of the car, plying all three pedals as required, all the while calmly shuffling the steering wheel back and forth with his hands never rising above the 8:20 position on the wheel. His arms certainly never crossed, though that also is an acceptable way to finish turning in (watch those Victory by Design DVD's and see how De Cadenet handles the various steering wheels, shuffle shuffle, with one crossed-arm movement at the end of the turn only if he is making a big wheel movement). The test drive was exceptionally fast and exceptionally smooth, with the car perfectly place and in complete control even when sliding. What a blast.

Note how the turn signal and wiper stalks on the Alfa 164 are perfectly positioned to operate with your hands at 8:20 on the wheel and a trifle awkward with your hands at 9:15. if you are a ten to two aficionado (actually 2:10) then you cannot reach the stalks with your fingertips. Italians tend to drive with both hands near the bottom of the wheel and do not cross their arms, except as De Cadenet demonstrates). My father taught me NEVER to cross my arms on the steering wheel. Why? Because if you have to quickly reverse the direction of the wheel (that would be due to oversteer, an unexpected skid, or an unforeseen need to change direction) you are hooped with your arms crossed except if you have already turned as far as you need to and are only unwinding the wheel with no possibility of requiring much re-reversing of direction.

So I taught all my three daughters to steer using the shuffle method, and also the overhand method to pass their driver's test. In fact, I taught them quite few dumb things to enable them to pass their test with strict instructions to go back to the proper, unacceptable methods after they got their license. Unfortunately, my youngest will need to re learn dumb and potentially dangerous techniques to re-pass her test again when she turns 18 as we now have a graduated licensing program in Alberta requiring young drivers to pass the test twice. Of course we still do not have any proper driving instruction or testing but we now test the drivers twice (sigh).

IMHO, shuffle steering is much safer than the overhand method. Proper shuffle steering involves always having one hand fixed on the wheel while the other moves to a new position, the hands are always in the same relative position on the wheel so you never get confused about hand position, you can reverse direction of the wheel with the same arm leverage at any time and reverse again as quickly as you wish. When in an emergency or driving on the limit you need to be able to move the wheel back and forth repeatedly and precisely to balance the car and ensure you get it placed where you need it. This is very difficult to do using the overhand method. One exception is where you are sure you have applied nearly as much lock as you will need and will only need to unwind the wheel in which case it is good practice, though optional, to continue applying lock with hands fixed in position and crossing your arms. It is acceptable to cross your arms a long way if you are completely confident that you will only need to unwind the wheel. Until that point shuffle works best. Besides, I do not consider the crossed arm position to be overhand steering, it is just easier to control the last bit of a sharp turn in that fashion, especially on the limit.

The shuffle method works regardless of the preferred position for holding the wheel. I'm a 9:15 man myself except when driving an Italian car when my hands automatically drop to 8:20. I shuffle the wheel moving one hand at a time until the turn in is nearly complete, then I fix my hands and continue the turn of the wheel winding on or off additional or less lock as required up to a complete crossed arm position.

Finally, in case anyone wonders how often I drive at the limit I remind everyone I live in Canada. We have 6 months of winter where I live and we also have lots of year round gravel roads as well as gravel and sand on our paved roads in winter. The shuffle method allows me to drive with perfect safety at and beyond the limit frequently when traction is highly questionable, not to say variable and unpredictable. It's the only way to steer on bad roads, watch those WRC guys do it.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner