[alfa] Re: Richard Bies' reply

I have been scanning this issue with some interest. Obviously, we Alfa
owners want our cars to retain value but it is the catastrophic drop in
resale price that allows most buyers into the Alfa market in the first
place. I do not have the means (or the tax breaks) to buy a new Alfa
and therefore wait until depreciation has done its worst over the first
three or four years. I take it for granted that after 12 years  unless
the vehicle is very special indeed  most Alfas are nearing the point
of token value. This is certainly how the trade sees it in New Zealand.
Try and get more than $2,000 for an 80's Fiat, Alfa or Lancia from a
dealer. With this in mind, it is up to the seller and buyer to
negotiate a price constrained by the reality of the limited market. As
an example, the 1987 Lancia Thema Turbo ie I owned until last year cost
its first owner over  $60,000. The second paid $25,000 and I paid
$9,000 and sold it after four years for $2,000. The depreciation cost
me a bit over $1,200 a year but I had the pleasure of owning a fine
vehicle. The current owner also enjoys a car which is not likely to
fall much further in price.

Michael Findlay

Alfa 1750 GTV
Fiat Marea Weekender 2000
Fiat Uno 70 SL
ex Lancia Thema, Alfa 1750 Berlina, NSU Ro80, Fiat 1500, Peugeot 204
coupe, Rover 105,  (never made money on any of them)