[alfa] Re: Alfa

Attended my first Alfa Club meeting in '62.  I've been on a few sides of
the fence.

Various clubs serve the needs of various people, often varying over time.

The "problem" of "value" of used Alfas is the characteristic problem of
any item with a small demand.  They simply are not saleable to the general
public (US at least) -- except for the occasional "convert".  Thus the
price is low.

Similar problem in re-introducing the marque.  It is a nitche market.  At
times Alfa served this market reasonably well -- the more governmental
conditions, the more difficulty.  This market is not going to make anyone
a fortune, but given <acknowledgement> of the need to offer a superior
"value" to the purchasor (while Alfa had good years, the product compared
favorably to competitors at a lower cost -- which has not been accepted --
any time they sold reasonably well, the price was hiked -- and sales
dropped -- and the company complained)  but at a competitive  price the
cars can be sold in modest numbers.  {While Alfa was Alfa, they had the
problem, but sold cars in the US -- when Fiat got involved, however, they
dropped the costly but superior rear suspension like a hot potato. Italian
alright, but demonstrably allergic to offering a superior value...}

I don't think the future looks bright unless the US can return to allowing
world-market cars into the country without the present hastle -- there was
not a "dealer" network intitally....and the marque may not support a
full-fledged dearler approach.

Yes, for any time-slice after WWII, past Alfas <were> better -- Alfa <was>
where Ferrari is.  The iron-engined offerings in the fifties did not fit
the mold -- and since the the high-point of the Giulietta Veloce, it has
been a slow decline.  Mass-market appeal (US style, anyway) is exactly
what Alfa has not been -- and why they are prized by the few.

r.m.bies