[alfa] Re: Mosko accepts the challenge

Dear Peter Webb and ALFAXTC and all others who believe they see things
differently than I do:

First I want to thank Richard Welty for providing us with this unique forum.
Unselfish people like Richard are the real leaders in our Alfa Community.
Let's not let this forum dissappear for lack of support. Contributions to the
Alfa
Digest are needed. Let's all give our share.

I've decided I don't write well enough. Only about 50% of what I believe
finds its way onto the written page. My first mistake in the President's
message
of the March Alfa Owner magazine was to leave "vintage" undefined. To me,
"vintage" is any car designed by Alfa Romeo before Fiat took over the company
in
the mid 1980's. I actually consider any Alfa that was sold new in the U.S.A.
be "vintage". Agreed, "vintage" by most standards means 25 yrs or older. On
the other hand my classic car insurance company is willing to insure my '91
spider. Also, I know that the average age of Alfas in the U.S. is around 20
years
and so I have this "vintage" mentality. What I should have written was a
definition of "vintage" or perhaps called our cars "vintage" and
"pre-vintage".

On to the challenge....

Peter Webb says, "I think the bottom line here is, we have 2 clubs within a
club.   Lets
categorize it as drivers and polishers.   Marc Mosko isn't going to help
this situation by taking one side or the other."

I don't agree. There arn't 2 clubs within AROC; there's a whole bunch of
them. There are the drivers, the restorer/polishers, the cafe racers who just
want
to look cool, the techies and there is even a bunch who don't enjoy driving
very much but do like food and socializing. Our club is for all of these
people
because we all have a common bond. We drive old cars that we love and which
make us stand out with pride from everyone else in the neighborhood. You see,
equate "old" with "vintage".. Wrong choice of words? Maybe. Then again I'm
not a wordsmith by a long shot.

You might ask, "what part of the club do you belong to, Mosko?" I can't
possibly side with anybody as I'm totally involved. Yes, I'm over 60 and my
reflexes are starting to go but I hold memberships to the Porsche Club and the
Ferrari Owners Club so that I can participate in Porsche club autocrosses
(with my
'74 GTV with an '89 Alfa Twin-Spark engine conversion) and time trials at
Moroso with the F.O.C. where the 308's and Dinos have a tough time beating me
(again with my GTV T.S.). I'm on a track at least 8 times a year. I'm a
polisher
too, because I did do a ground-up restoration on a '65 Giulia Spider Veloce
which won 1st in class at the 2003 AROC National Concours and has won at
numerous
serious concours throughout Florida.  Not withstanding, I recently swapped the
Concours Pirellis for Vredsteins on the '65 spider and have autocrossed the
car with the local SCCA club. The Miatas beat me up but I justify all by
telling them I've got 200 CC less displacement (1600) so they grin in
admiration. My
other vice is food and I'm admittedly 20 lbs overweight. I organize and
attend an Alfa dinner meeting each month in south florida and love it when a
couple
dozen or more Alfisti show up. I'm a cafe racer too as my '91 spider is
perfect, immaculate and soooooo beautiful!

 So I like it all and don't have any favorites. I'll drive with you, polish
with the best of you, try to understand the secrets of Bosch motronix systems
and show you the top 10 best Italian restaurants in So. Florida. I don't want
to divide this club. I want uninity, purpose and see no point in long
conversations about "when Alfa returns to the USA". The reality is that Alfa
belongs to
FIAT. FIAT is in big financial trouble. GM owns 20% of FIAT with a "put
option", which is an obligation to buy the other 80%. GM doesn't want to
exercise
the put option as there are questions as to whether FIAT will ever be a
profitable company again. As for the USA. Here is a quote from the new
President of
FIAT as published on March 8th in Automotive News (autonews.com),

"FIAT won't bring its Alfa Romeo brand back to the United States any time
soon, says FIAT Auto CEO Herbert Demel.

Am I against Alfas' return to the USA? Absolutely not. Would I deny entry to
anyone for any reason into our club? I'd have to be crazy. If Alfa comes back
tomorrow I'll be the first to knock on their Marketing Dept. door. Why?
Because I'll be looking for the funding and members to grow our club and know
that
many of you will be buying new Alfas. But........and this is my belief based
on
my experience with the Porsche and Ferrari clubs that I belong to..... there
will be two clubs in one. The new owners will not be polishers and car show
attendees and few of them will be interested in track events. Socializing? ...
to a great extent. Membership turnover will probably be very high.

In any event, all of this is becoming a very moot point. Until there is a
believable committment from Alfa, GM or Alfa's future owner for a return to
the
USA I have a job to do as president of AROC. Every organization needs a
mission
or a focus point. My focus point is providing our members with a club which
has increasingly greater value to its members than it has had in previous
years. I'm focusing on the cars we own; not the cars we'll most likely never
see on
our streets.

In that regard our magazine is the bonding agent of our club. I fought hard
over the past three years and led the way to get an early termination of our
past publishers contract and succeeded. The new Alfa Owner magazine is focused
on the cars we own -- all the way through 1995 -- and is a quantum leap better
than any Alfa Owner Magazine I've ever seen and lots better than any
non-factory funded magazine. The countless emails I've had praising the new
magazine
give me satisfaction. We're not stopping there. The magazine will improve with
succeeding issues. The April Giulietta 50th Anniversary issue will be in full
color!. and there's more to come.

We're working on revamping our website and creating a Alfa marketplace like
none ever seen before. The tireless efforts of Erik Storhok, web chairman of
AROC will insure that. We're excited about the new ideas in this club and the
things that are happening now.

When I was in college I had a reputation as a gadfly. Today we call those who
rouse others,"pot-stirrers". I've been a member of AROC for many years and a
participant on this Digest for almost as many and I've rarely seen any
discussion about AROC. Since my March President's Message in the Alfa Owner
I've
spent dozens of hours answering emails from members who agree and dissagree
with
my positions.

I feel good about this because I've roused hundreds of you. I've gotten you
to think about our Alfa community; not just about our cars. And that's good.
Honest, forthright dissagreement can only mean learning about each other and
will lead the way to improvement and progress.

Thanks for giving me your views and teaching me so much. Leadership is much
about learning all you can about those you are supposed to lead. I'll do a
better job now.

P.S.

In a message dated 3/14/2004 5:01:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,