[alfa] Vintage proposal for AROC

In contrast to some of the opionions expressed, here I have written to Marc
Mosko to express support for the proposal that AROC's immediate future as a
vintage car club.  Regardless of what we might wish would happen, the reality
is that the newest Alfa Romeo cars in the US are now 10 years old; if they
survive, they will be well on the way to becoming vintage machines by the time
we see any new Alfas here.  AROC is currently at a turning point, with some
members clinging to aging 164s, Spiders and Milanos with dwindling hopes of
replacing them with new Alfas, while others dive wholeheartedly into
restoring, racing, and enjoying Alfa Romeos from the classic era.  Sadly,
there is only one possible outcome unless Alfa returns soon: those members who
want new cars will give up and buy other marques for everyday driving.
Perhaps they will also become involved with classic Alfas, but they will have
to let go of the dream of a modern Alfa to match the latest from BMW, Audi and
Lexus.  AROC will become a vintage car club, whether we want it to or not.

Given that reality, it makes great sense for AROC's primary goal to be
promoting the preservation, restoration and use of classic Alfa Romeos.  Many
kinds of activities and information can serve these goals.  I wouldn't presume
to dictate them.  It's up to the club members and officers to determine what
they want.

I'd also make a plea to reach out to racers as Alfa owners who are very
actively involved in preserving, improving and using classic cars.  Those of
us who race our Alfas sometimes feel ostrasized by restoration-oriented owners
who complain that we ruin restorable and cars and use up more than our share
of the remaining, finite supply of engine blocks, transmissions and other no
longer available components.  But, in reality, racers--especially those
involved in vintage competition--are spending significant amounts of money to
present their cars as they looked in their day and to ensure that they remain
competitive.  Racing also fosters enthusiasm for
the marque by  highlighting an important part of Alfa Romeo history,
showcasing the cars' performance, and giving owners who like to drive their
cars an alternative to the concours circuit.

Dana Loomis
'69 Giulia Super
'71 Giulia Super
'71 GTV vintage race car