[alfa] 2004 Challenge Update

The Grassroots Motorsports 2004 Challenge is quickly bearing down on us, but the Alfa Turbolare Spider is just about ready. The problem is that I'm quickly becomeing the dreaded P.O. on this car...

For those of you new to the digest, two years ago, a group of us turbocharged a '78 Spider for the 2002 GRM Challenge. We got HUGE help from people on this list- donating parts and technical help. At the '02 event, we finished 8th overall, mainly due to our strong placing in the concours. The event was a blast, and we decided to come back the next year.

For '03, we basically tuned the car, and went back to Florida. Last year, the drag race was not canceled due to rain, and after the first day, we were bummed with a 14.37 1/4 mile vs a very fast 11.49. But again with a very strong concours, and a top 10 autocross time, we finished 10th. And if we managed to match a 1/4 mile time we did a month later, we would have been 7th. This is very competetive!

This year? Well, we decided to really look at the structure of the car. With lots of rust, but good outside panels, all we could to was re-enforce what was there. So we welded in some 16g steel on the inner rocker. And on the bottom of the car, we put some C channel in to help the basic structure... Yes, quite the hack job. Hey, the car cost us $800....

We also managed to re-detail the engine compartment- using an Eastwood plating kit, the underhood looks really GREAT. Once we are done- I'll post some pictures somewhere. Hopefully with that, the structure for the autocross, and another couple of psi for the drag race, we can let this car finish it's GRM challenge life with one more top 10.

That's right, the car will be sold quickly after the challenge. Not the powertrain, just the car. And we get to be a bad influence on a young person with this car- we are selling it to a person we met in an engine build class at the local community college. Nice way to get some more, new people interested in Alfas!!

I'll update more when we get back.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm