Re: [alfa] Alfa Youth

Monty:

Buck up, you're young he's middle aged (going on old) I know from whence
he comes, I'm 57 on the 13th of this month. He may have experience and
qualifications. Your action to start a web site may have got him and the
club moving where they'd been putting off doing what needed to be done.
If that's what happened, credit yourself for being a catalyst. Don't
worry, YOU have plenty of time.

Don't you just love the way your Milano drives and handles? We had one
for 87,000+ miles including trips to at least 5 national conventions and
locations from Prince Edward Island, Canada; Tulsa (one of the best
National Conventions); Portland Oregon; to San Diego, CA. Point is,
those New York Club guys love their cars too! Hang around and
participate in the club activities and you'll see that. But remember
they probably have a history with this Alan guy and that's ok.  If you
don't go away pissed off, you'll have a history with them in 5-10 years
too!  They just see youth. Show them who you are; but be gentle, not
pushy, I remember I was brash when I was your age.  I'll still say just
about anything, look at this note.

Age, Speaking of which, when I lived in NY, (Northport) and was 17 I was
too young to drive? 18 was the age. When did that change? Went to Texas
where everyone else my age already had a DL for 3 years and then went in
the Army and didn't get a license 'till I got out at age 21.

Uh oh you say, old fogey tellin' war stories . . . Anyway, Keep goin to
events, make some content for that new web site. Go to a rally and work
a checkpoint, autocross and flag, show up at the track events and work.
Show your car and run it in local events. And as you probably know
they'll be a national convention in New Hampshire in late July. We'll be
driving up and so will lots of folks from around the country with cool
cars and fun events and you'll meet folks. We need enthusiastic youth in
the national club too whether or not the current club officers with
their vintage/ collector car / restoration proposal know it or not. Hope
the club helps keep us daily drivers on the road.

Good luck keep participating.  Hope the advice helps and hope to meet
you in New Hampshire.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX

3 Automatic Alfas -- 2 164's and a '92 spider veloce  taking the spider
later today on a mini spring break trip to Austin, Rockport and back
home about 500 miles in the next 7 days. bjb

Monty Mathisen wrote:

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Monty Mathisen and I'm 16 years old. I'm
also behind the wheel of a sleek-looking Milano and my father has a Gtv6. A
few months after I turned 16 I fell in love with my Alfa, and wanted to get
involved. We were already members of AROC but wanted to be involved locally.
So we ventured to a New York Club Sunday breakfast on Long Island. It was fun,
a bunch of guys talking Alfa. Then they started talking about a website. I
take web design in school, so I offered to help for what it would cost to keep
it on the internet. A month later "AROCNY" had a website but with no content.
It was good to know I was involved and helping the local Alfa club, maybe even
injecting some youth into the club. But soon objections came up. After about
one month of no content contributions to the website, (all club board members
were behind it) club member Alan Elton wanted power. He wanted to take over
website and only criticized everything I had done. The site was fine.
The club finally had a site. All the members at the breakfast said they
liked it. Alan ruined a Sunday morning breakfast talking about it. No we
didn't talk, I take that back. He was yelling at me. Here is a 40 year old man
yelling at a 16 year old kid who tried to volunteer and help.  Im in high
school, getting up at 7am to go to club breakfasts on the weekend is a lot to
ask, and this guy completely ruined the experience.  He didn't have a valid
argument either - we could both do the same thing for the website for roughly
same price. It ended up coming down to a board meeting vote. Alan was going to
present his ideas and I was not invited. But when we left that last breakfast,
the members there said they would support me. After rescheduling the board
meeting three times it finally happened. It took them six days to tell me what
happened, no response to a few emails - they only really responded after I had
picked up my phone and called them. Alan got the website.  What happened to
the support they promised me? What happened to volunteering? I have my own
website. I do a companys website. But this club experience stunk.
Maybe I should buy a Toyota??

Monty Mathisen