[alfa] gearbox leak

A couple of people suggested shift rods as a source of Dave's gearbox leak.
I don't think that this is the case because his car is a 75 and Alfa had
already switched to the bell housing that covers the end of the selector
rods. I think that the switch was made in 74. I pulled a transmission from a
74 GTV yesterday and it had the later style bell housing and gearbox. Bob
K's gearbox probably had a selector rod from a late style gearbox. The early
gearboxes with longer rods are matched to bell housings with a cut out for
the ends of the rods. The later gearboxes with shorter rods are matched to
bell housings without the cut out.
I think that the front oil seal is the most likely source of Dave's leak.

Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
73 GTV
79 Spider