[alfa] RE: alfa-digest V9 #1154 (Bleeding Brakes)

Ron wrote:
>Should I buy a vacuum type brake bleeder? Will it fit on the bleeder >nipples and perform the job well?

I use an old 12 volt compressor/vacuum pump to bleed brakes on my spider. Clear vinyl 1/4 inch hose from Home Depot connects easily to the bleeder screws. The vacuum pump connects first to a glass peanut butter jar whose steel cover has two 1/4 inch barb nipples soldered to it. The second nipple goes to the brake bleeder screw. Since the bleeder screws have a lot of slop when loosened, the accumulated fluid in the jar will contain a lot of bubbles but rest assured that all the air will be sucked out of the caliper. If you use DOT 5 silicone brake fluid as I do, be prepared for a lot of controversy. Been using it in my Alfas for over 30 years and wouldn't use anything else.

Gil
Port Orange, FL
1985 Spider