[alfa] Milano Re-fueling problem

I have finally got my Project Milano on the road and have come upon a very
strange problem.  Every time I go to refuel it I have to hold the pump handle at
a trickle or it will shut off immediately!  So it becomes a chore to stand
out in the cold while it takes forever to fill up the tank.  I was told that the
small hose that regulates the pressure in the tank might be kinked - but when
I pulled away the trunk carpeting to check, I found no apparent kinks.  One
strange thing about the fuel filler opening - the piece which should be there
to prevent unleaded filler noseles from being used is not there - just a large
opening all the way into the tank.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else had this
problem - and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Rundlett
1982 Spider Veloce