RE: [alfa] Transmission removal question

Kevin -

I assume that you have already unbolted the starter. No need to remove it or
disconnect the wires, just push it back some so it is out of the way.

Also, if you have not already done so, you will need to disconnect the
center drag link at one end, and the exhaust from the header in order to
allow the engine to tilt back far enough to remove the transmission.

In order to get the top two bolts out, after everything else is removed
including the rear transmission mount, let the engine tilt back as far as it
will go. Watch the cooling fan, you may need to gently persuade it past the
shroud.

Now you are ready to tackle those two bolts. You will need a very long
extension (at least 24") and a universal joint on the socket. You can feed
the extension up from the rear of the transmission and get it on the bolt.
You may also need to use a very short stubby combination wrench to keep the
other end from turning.

Not easy but doable. I've done it many times.

As an aside, you would not believe how many cars I've worked on that are
missing these top two bolts ...

HTH,

Jeff