Re: [alfa] Advise on 10548 cam timming

At 6:30 PM 2/28/04, Dean wrote:
>I know this will bring about an argument so all those in favor say I.
>I noticed a week or so ago that someone had asked about 10548 cam timming. The
>advise given was to follow the settings in pat bradens book. Im not sure if
>the same equates to fuel injection however pats settings are just incorrect.
>The standard settings for these cams are the best for all round use. If you
>want maximum hp and revs then you need to retard the intake cam ie: close the
>intake valve later. This single event, intake valve closing is the most
>important event in the four stroke cycle. Note: in doing this we reduce the
>overall overlap

You are quite correct that the closing of the intake is the most important
event, but you have it backwards !!
Closing the intake EARLIER will increase top end and HP whilst causing the
torque and bottom end to deteriorate (and, of course, increase overlap with
any given cam), closing it later will increase bottom end and torque whilst
causing the top end and HP to deteriorate !!

Greg