Re: [alfa] stirring up trouble

Danny P wrote:

>  Can Alfa
> today do what everyone is already doing?

I say YES that Alfa (Fiat) could/can do "what everyone else is doing" but my
question would be WHY ?  Alfa have survived by building cars just a little
different and some human beings will pay a premium for this, even though it
may not make sense to the masses.

As vehicle design matures it stands to reason that all manufacturers will
eventually end up with the same basic designs, as they are the ones which
work. Legislation will accelerate things as well.   Even if the various
manufacturers start at different places, design will eventually be almost
identical.  Of course there are a few different 'classes'of vehicle (4X4,
Sedan, Wagon etc) but within these classes we will see one variation stand
out..

We already see evidence of this design convergence and we also see that
there are fewer and fewer manufacturers left in the world.  A while ago
people said that the Japanese can build cheap cars but "they'll never build
a Mercedes/Rolls Royce".  Well we've seen that the Japanese can in fact
build a car with the qualities embodied in a Mercedes for example, but the
result is a car which costs about the same, because it costs dollars to
build to that standard.

I don't speak Italian but if someone can translate "Vive La

Beatle
'67 Duetto 1750 Hybrid
Oz