RE: [alfa] Car Fax Reports

I tried to run my 72 Spider and carfax states that it must be a 17 digit vin
number. My vin is only 9 digits and I found no way to run any check on it.

As a result, I ran a check on the 3 yr old US made pickup I just traded in
with only 24,000 miles. The report came back squeaky clean, without mention
of the facts that it had body work in excess of $2000 twice (both relatives,
not me), and that the dealer had failed in 4 attempts in 3 years to fix a
very annoying rotational noise. The last straw was the intermittent clatter
of valves or bearings over the last thousand miles I owned it, which I
finally decided was probably a failing head gasket (minor water evident in
the oil). This lemon looks pretty good on carfax, but I wouldn't ever want
it back.

My Brother recently owned a Range Rover with a clean carfax and bent frame.

I can't really imagine why people pay for this unreliable and vague
information. I sure wouldn't make a buying decision on anything in it.

Richard