RE: [alfa] Head Gasket

> Was the head resurfaced when the rest of the work was done? What kind of
> head gasket was used (OEM or aftermarket)?

Yes, the head was shaved .025" and surfaced by a good machine shop.   The gasket was an aftermarket.  I wanted the Rienz but no-one had them in stock when ordering so due to time contraints I used whatever they had.   It's a Reinz this time for sure.

> The reason for re-torquing is not the nuts loosen per se, rather that the
> gasket compresses which results in the nuts being lose thereby not allowing
> the gasket to be compressed as is intended.

> Head gaskets are designed to compress a certain amount, hence the need for
> initial re-torquing. Once they've been compressed, as far as they are
> designed to, and the nuts/bolts are torqued to provide the needed clamping
> force, there should be no need for further re-torquing.

Yep.  I put the motor together and did the initial cold torque on assembly.  The mechanic dropped the motor in the car.   This is probably a case of too many cooks and neither thought they needed to do it.   I was approaching the 500 mile mark for the next retorque.  As Brian mentioned, if the first warm retorque wasn't done, that's what caused it to fail.

Looks like the head has to come off again.   I'm planning on selling the car so I'd better get this fixed right.

I suppose a retorque would at least prove the problem.  I can be sure I'm not going to find a nasty crack or something when I get it apart.

Thanks for the advice.

-Peter