RE: [alfa] Head Gasket

Peter -

You can certainly try re-torquing the head. You don't have much to lose at
this point, but I'm doubtful that this will cure the problem in this case
from what you have described.

Was the head resurfaced when the rest of the work was done? What kind of
head gasket was used (OEM or aftermarket)?

The reason for re-torquing is not the nuts loosen per se, rather that the
gasket compresses which results in the nuts being lose thereby not allowing
the gasket to be compressed as is intended.

Head gaskets are designed to compress a certain amount, hence the need for
initial re-torquing. Once they've been compressed, as far as they are
designed to, and the nuts/bolts are torqued to provide the needed clamping
force, there should be no need for further re-torquing.

Most newer designs use torque to yield bolts which is a much better design.
The bolts are designed to stretch, thereby maintaining a more uniform
tension on the gasket and assembly. This design does not require any
re-torquing whatsoever.

Good Luck,

Jeff