[alfa] Head Gasket

Alfisti,

Last week coolant started leaking into the combustion chamber on the Spider.   This motor has about 500 miles on it since the head was redone.   Neither my mechanic or I remember if the head was retorqued after the first warm up and I know I haven't retorqued since.

I haven't even looked into the problem yet while emotions were getting the best of me.  The working theory is the head has loosened and just needs retorquing.  I'll find out tomorrow when I dig into it.

So the questions is, if it is just a case of loose head nuts, will the gasket survive after a retorque?    It let go on Saturday night with plumes of white smoke out the exhaust, the unmistakable smell of coolant and bubbles in the radiator.  No overheating during any of this.   Started to puff on the way home and got progressively worse as I drove until it started bellowing, as luck would have it, pulling into my parking lot.

TIA for any experience with this.

-Peter