[alfa] Diesels Diesels everywhere plus age related ramblings.

I am led to believe that about 70% of Alfa Romeo 156 models sold in Europe
last year were diesel powered. This certainly reflects whats been going on
with other makes such as BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat empire.

I also read today that Alfa Romeo JTD Diesel engines will appear in the GM
(Opel/Vauxhall) Vectra this year. How times change. To quote from the article
"The AR JTD engines are renowned for their smooth running and feisty turn of
speed". Certainly, I have yet to hear a truly bad word said of these engines
which come in 1.9 four cylinder with 120 and 150bhp, and also a five cylinder
2.3 litre. The BHP figures may not excite at first glance, but its their
torque and driveability that makes them very rapid machines in day to day
driving. The current diesel 156s are measurably better cars than the early
diesel 156s of four years ago, which weren't at all bad in themselves.

Meanwhile, I achieved 'Grumpy Old Man status' last saturday (My 50th
birthday). To "celebrate" Mrs H (Liz) and I took the 164 TS into deepest North
Wales to Portmeirion for a long weekend. Those who distantly remember Patrick
McGoohan's cult series from the 60s "The Prisoner" will be familiar with
Portmeirion, as thats the village where it was filmed, see:
www.portmeirion-village.com. We happily made ourselves very pampered prisoners
for a few days, and the 164 ran like a dream, with just a few choice full
throttle runs up the occasional mountain passes with the rorty exhaust echoing
off the valley sides (its only rorty when you floor the throttle, it purrs the
rest of the time).

We took time to go off the beaten track to an Iron Age hill fort which is next
to the remains of a Roman Amphitheatre (In the middle of nowhere I must add)
both of which overlook the mostly decommissioned nuclear power station at
Trawsfynnydd in stunning rugged scenery. I can't really make a convincing
connection for an Alfa and a Roman Theatre, but I suppose a latin presence
spanning 2000 years is just about worth reflecting upon.

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164Super