[alfa] Diesels Diesels everywhere plus age related ramblings.

>> Certainly, I have yet to hear a truly bad word said of these engines
which come in 1.9 four cylinder with 120 and 150bhp, and also a five
cylinder
2.3 litre.<<

Well, diesel is a bad word ;-)

>>The BHP figures may not excite at first glance, but its their
torque and driveability that makes them very rapid machines in day to day
driving.<<

Sorry, but I am not that keen on engines which depend on torque at low
revs. I just find them unpleasant. Torque is OK once you have a decent
amount of power and the ability to hold onto the revs beyond peak power
(eg, round a low roundabout). I like engines such as that in the 16V 33
where
they rev out smoothly and produce a high amount of power for their
capacity at high revs. The old 8V TS was very nice for this.

>>We happily made ourselves very pampered prisoners
for a few days, and the 164 ran like a dream, with just a few choice full
throttle runs up the occasional mountain passes with the rorty exhaust
echoing
off the valley sides (its only rorty when you floor the throttle, it purrs
the
rest of the time).<<

Just wait for the speeding tickets through the post. North Wales like their
Talivans.

All the best

Keith