[alfa] Spica Pump: To change or not to change...

PJ -
It shouldn't be too difficult to modify if you have all the hardware from the donor car. I'm not sure what you mean by the "bumps" on the top of the pump. Although I don't have any direct experience with the monofarfalla systems on the 80-81 models, I do know that the '78 (T261/1) and '81 (T265) injection pumps themselves were very similar except for slight differences in the 3D cam and the use of a fixed baro compensator instead of an adjustable one. After 1974 (T255/1), the pump fuel delivery shedule was leaned out due to tightening emissions regs. I didn't think the electrical connections were any different from earlier models. Maybe someone can correct me. There should be two electrical connections to the pump. One from the starter solenoid to th Cold Start Solenoid and the other from the car's electrical system to the Fuel Cutoff Microswitch on the bottom of the pump, then on to and terminating at the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid. You should get a mirror and flashlight and look at the data placard just below the fuel pipes, and see what model pump is installed in your car. Also look right below that for any overhaul markings that would indicate the pump has been overhauled. That said, I think either pump, as long as they are in good condition would be ok.

R&Ring the pump isn't that hard and especially not when you've already pulled the manifold and fuel pipes off. The easiest way to remove the pump is to leave the pump base (that attaches to the engine block) on, and remove the six 10mm nuts that holds the pump section to the base. As far as the drive belt cover goes, I'd just remove that and leave it off. I think it causes more problems than it solves. Be very careful not to bend the fuel pipes and you note exactly how they are mounted, in what order and the order of disassembly/reassembly. Take a photo or make a drawing. They are confusing to reinstall.

It seems that you are very unfamiliar with the SPICA system since you don't know the ordinary nomenclature of the pump parts. Before you start the conversion, I would highly suggest that you become much more familiar with the system and how to tune and adjust it. For instance, before you put the new manifold on, it's a lot easier to check the correct adjustment of the throttle idle and wide open throttle stops, if you don't have the special Alfa tool. Those stops are fundamental settings that unless they are correct, will make it impossible to tune the system for optimum performance. That is only one example. Messing with the system without doing your homework will probably yield unsatisfactory results. The SPICA system is does not respond well to hit & miss tinkering.

There are several good sources. Wes Ingram's book for tuning. The AROC Tech Notes Series. AR Owner's Bible, etc. If you'd like to talk more specifics, email me at NOSPAMroadtrip999@domain.elided. Of course, delete the NOSPAM.