[alfa] Spica Pump: To change or not to change...

Alfisti and Spicalisti

I'm looking at the steps to get the top end on my '81 Spider motor and to modify the
injection system by replacing the big aluminum plenum and single throttle body with a
'78 Spica system (I bought everything from the intake manifold to the pump). I
understand a. that r&r for the pump is a bear, and 2. that pumps are different, with a
"best" referred to by a model or production number. Reading from several sources and
the AD archives, I'm confident of a correct head installation and spark/Spica timing. I
wonder if I should change the '81 pump to the '78, or just leave it in place with
installation of the '78 intake system.

Sorry...I don't have the numbers from either pump handy. Both pumps were running some
time back, both spin freely. The '81 pump has three "bumps" on top verses two on the
'78 pump, and there is one, maybe two additional electrical connections on the '81
pump. (I cannot identify all the connections on the pump in the car -the schematic in
the '81 owners manual does not match whats in the car, nor do any schematics I've seen)

I have one solid vote for leaving the present pump in place from a friend who does a
lot of Alfa resurrection and restoration work. His reasoning is the pump is so hard to
work on with the engine in the car, just leave it for now and get it running.

Any other suggestions? Will the model/type number make a big difference in just getting
it running, enough to change out the pumps to begin with??? I'll get the pump numbers
for any/all who'd like to know.

Thanks for you thoughts...

Ciao, PJ Wise
1981 Spider Veloce