[alfa] Which Carbs?

George from Michigan asks: "Can Some of you Alfa Experts out there give
me some advise.  I have a 69
Spider with a 1600 engine out of a Giulia Sprint.  It has a Weber 2
barrel downdraft carburetor on it currently.  I would like to upgrade to
a pair of 2 barrel side draft carburetors, but am not sure what to use.
See several Weber DCOE or DCOM's, Dell'orto DHLA or Solex ADDHE listed
on e-bay.  Which brand would you use and which is a no no?  I know that
I will have to obtain a new manifold. Will the existing fuel pump work
OK?  What other pitfalls am I going to encounter if I attempt this
upgrade.  I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but by
no means an engine expert."

****

George, very unusual to go backward cc wise. Ever consider going bigger,
like an original 1750 or  a 2000?

Assuming not, get the Weber 40DCOE's. As you mentioned, you'll need a
correct 1600 inlet manifold (I have a pristine one but want loads of
money for it), set of carb rubber spacer mounts, carb support rod, and
highly recommend (what I term) the Euro airbox 'system'.  Fuel pump
should be fine.

Biba
Irwindale, CA  USA