[alfa] Duetto 'Bumper' Bar

Beatle in Oz asks: "I need to do a little panelbeating of my Duetto's
front undertray but the inner 'bumper' is irritatingly in the way of a
decent golf swing.

"The bumper I'm referring to is the inner transverse bar which the
stainless bumpers are bolted to.

"Are these things welded in-situ or can they be removed more easily ?
There's so much black sticky rustproofing/deadener sprayed inside I
can't really get a good look at the structure."

**********

Beatle, I think what you're considering is akin to throwing the baby out
with the bath water. Believe that is the correct expression for what
you're contemplating / asking.

You might want to remove some of that 'black sticky
rustproofing/deadener' to see what is really under there. Assuming the
bumpers fit reasonably well now, you will have an extremely hard time
lining them back up in the exact same position. They're undoable, but I
sure wouldn't unless they were mangled and you needed to remove to
straighten (should that ever be the case, have another really straight
Round-tail standing by so you can take measurements).

While claiming to be pretty fussy (I'm giving anal a rest for a few
days) the untertray is not one of them. I make sure when peering under
the car from the front, it looks reasonably straight and there are no
deep gouges. I do a fair amount of prying as opposed to the the five
pound hammer treatment, since as you said, not much swinging room in
there. I suggest you remove any existing plastic filler already on the
undertray first. Then get various sizes of blocks of wood and a long pry
bar. Use the transverse bar to your advantage and with a block of wood
on top of a dent, pry down on it and then with your third hand hammer
from underneath around the edge of the dent. You won't get it perfect,
but should be able to get it in the ballpark.

Now...if you are in a really fussy mood, buy a new reproduction
Round-tail undertray. Last year I purchased one [along with the (later)
factory top panel and aftermarket panel with bump and grill support
panels] from Chris at Highwood in the UK. There's not all that much
holding the undertray on. Remove sway bar, drill out numerous spot welds
along the rear of the tray, remove all filler from around where the two
sets of grill support meet (about in the middle). Should this not be
clear visualize the original top panel with a center U shaped panel
pointing down and the undertray has a center U shaped panel pointing up.
The two overlap in approximately the center. Then drill the spot welds
on the flanges on each side of the undertray. Do have two trained cats
under each end to catch it when it drops. Assembly is the reverse of...

Then always park about three feet / meters from curbs / kerbs. I swear
they jump out at Round-tail's undertrays. Certainly no caring Alfa Romeo
enthusiast would dare drive their Spider right up to and onto a curb /
kerb...would they?

Another exciting adventure by,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA