RE: [alfa] Engine compression numbers

> Can anyone tell me what the reasonable range is for acceptable compression
> on a stock 2000 engine - 1974 2000 GTV?
> I have heard that 140 to 160 is typical, but do not know the source.

175-185 psi for a good 2L engine.  160 is fine for an average engine, so long
as each cylinder is within +/- 5%, and it doesn't change when you add a
little oil to each cylinder.  140 psi is getting a little low.

That said, I was doing some work on the 1.5 Sud Ti of a friend of a friend
recently, and its rings were poked -- compression ranged from 100 to 185 psi
-- and it still revved sweetly, pulled like a train, and just wouldn't give
up.

regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ