Re: [alfa] torque wrenches

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:08:47 -0500 "Dean W. Cains" <dwc@domain.elided> wrote:
> What can I get for <$150 that's Alfa-worthy?  I really only like the click
> type, as opposed to the beam type, which I think can occasionally be
> troublesome to sight.  I need a wrench that's got a range up to 75 lb/ft.,
> and prefer 3/8" drive.

i have a 3/8" drive Husky i picked up from Home Despot last year
that meets your criteria. it's not Snap On quality, but it doesn't suck.
max is 100 lb/foot, part number is 39103. i don't remember what
i paid for it, but it was certainly less than $150 by a fair amount.

the husky warranty seems ok (i don't know exactly what
warranty is on the torque wrench, though.) i took back a
husky #1 Phillips screwdriver that appeared to have been
improperly heat treated (the tip wore out in a matter of weeks
after purchase), and it was replaced at the store, no questions
asked, the way Craftsman used to be (and sometimes still is.)

i really like the 1/2" Snap On i got at a used tool store years and
years ago, but it misses your criteria on one and perhaps two
points -- 1/2" drive, and as a Snap On, it's unlikely to be under
$150.

richard