[alfa] Re: Catalysts and SPICA

As for the air pump... Tough question. Assuming your car runs perfectly, no
misfires, yes, you need the air pump, and it will work correctly. The SPICA
system is a reduction equation only- the engine runs a little rich to keep the
NOx down, and the air reacts with the HC's and CO in the catalyst.
On that note, make sure you get a catalyst that is capable of a constant air
pump- I know they are out there. They will say 2 way catalyst with air pump.

I did some research on cat's.. and noted that ones called "with air" seem to have a pipe in the middle for pumping air directly into the center of the cat. The 77 has the air pump injecting the air into the manifold and nothing connected to the cat besides the thermal probe. Were you thinking of that, or are there "air" and "non-air" types that don't get air directly injected to them?

Hmmm... guess if it wasn't too rich it might not have a problem w/o extra air.. though it might be a close thing. I just wish the air pump: A. didn't sound like hell, B. the pully bearing didn't sound occasionally like I'm suffering engine damage, C. the bracket didn't make removing the front valve cover bolts a royal PITA, amongst other things.. grump, moan, bitch, complain..

I ran across a guy who had a pump and bracket setup, may still have his # if you really need one. The pump is a Nippondenso, part number I have most of on my lable.. so it may be easily findable.. And I really should have looked while the engine was out, but it's not impossible to get to the pulley off and see if the bearing is some standard size. The bracket would be the difficult piece to replace.

I'm not even going to start with the bureacratic bulls%#$ I've been dealing with, trying to get someone to let me adjust the Spica for the test, get a test, not get tagged as a Gross Pollutor (sorry, too late), and avoid getting forced into letting a gas station that knows nothing about Alfa's fix it till it works as my only means of getting some kickback for lots of $$ being spent.

Jon (save me from the Bu$%%#$crats!!)
77 Spider "California" model...