[alfa] Re: Catalysts and SPICA

While I don't have any actual experience with the systems that are available on
the aftermarket right now, I will say that the overall quality of the catalysts
has gone quite a bit up over the last 30 years.  So anything new will be better
than old.

As for the air pump...  Tough question.  Assuming your car runs perfectly, no
misfires, yes, you need the air pump, and it will work correctly.  The SPICA
system is a reduction equation only- the engine runs a little rich to keep the
NOx down, and the air reacts with the HC's and CO in the catalyst.

On that note, make sure you get a catalyst that is capable of a constant air
pump- I know they are out there.  They will say 2 way catalyst with air pump.

If you car runs badly, well, it doesn't matter what you do, your catalyst will
not likely survive a week.  The energy in the unburnt HC's will easily melt the
ceramic substrate- one of the more common failures of the pre electronic days.

Boy, I wish I kept the air pump I took off my Alfetta- the PO removed the
catalyst....  You might find one on e-bay.

Eric Storhok