Re: [alfa] Alternator test and Archive search link

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:36:12 -0200 DAEGRIGG <daegrigg@domain.elided> wrote:
> My hard drive crashed a few weeks ago and I lost the links to research the
> digest archives.   Richard or someone could you re-post the address please.

/alfa/archive/
ftp://ftp.digest.net/alfa/

> The 91L charging circuit is only showing a little over 12 volts when running
> and the battery is slowly running down over a four-five day period.

hmmm.

the test we use at the race track is we check the battery voltage with the
engine off, then start the engine, rev up the motor to get the alternator to
energize, and check the voltage across the battery again. the voltage
should go up by at least one volt at that point if the alternator is working.

we do it because some classes are required to have working alternators,
and some drivers/car prep guys will gut them in order to get back that
1/2 hp or whatever and just run total loss. you can tell you need to do
one of these checks when some teams have to push their car out of
impound after a race,

richard