[alfa] Re: 164L tensioner failure followup question

In ad v9n1076, doug s. writes:

<snip>
> when it started, the walves were clacking against the pistons.  the wife
> confirmed the car was *not* making this noise when she parked it.  any clues?

How about "Somebody's not telling the [whole] truth."?

Disclaimer - Dunno your wife or children, not trying to cast aspersions,
don't mean to suggest you hire a lawyer, or nuthin' like that.

Did the engine turn over hard while the battery was [nearly] flat? Kind of
one hard-as-nails rev per try of the key?  If so, the engine can possibly kick
back a little just after getting over TDC compression on a cyl. I wonder if
that would be enough to skip the belt?

2nd Disclaimer - Dunno Alfa V6's, either. Did have an old piece of 'merican
iron that went through batteries and wump-wump-wump'd on start up tries fairly
often. It had a proper timing chain, however. (Wanna start the 'Real Alfa
thread again? :-)

Tom
Seattle