Re: [alfa] Re: 164L tensioner failure followup question

TJCallahan@domain.elided wrote:
Did the engine turn over hard while the battery was [nearly] flat? Kind of one hard-as-nails rev per try of the key? If so, the engine can possibly kick back a little just after getting over TDC compression on a cyl. I wonder if that would be enough to skip the belt?
This would be my guess. Backwards rotation with a broken tensioner spring would give plenty enough slack for the left head to skip time. The valve springs pushing against the cam would give extra help if things lined up.

My car with a broken tensioner skipped time when I shut the motor off. It shut off with a bit off a whump... rotating backwards a bit. Just enough allow the timing to jump.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org