Aussie Homebrew cars ( was [alfa] V6 Engine swaps)

Benjamin,

I seriously investigated building a Locost chassis modified to accept
Alfetta running gear (I have one lying around) but the clutch bulge in the
transaxle resulted in either a too-high seating position, or an inordinately
long wheelbase.  I still believe its possible using a body style similar to
a 1930's sports-racer so the seating position looks acceptable.  Of course,
sourcing suitable wheels for that retro look becomes expensive.

 I even purchased a 75TS as a possible donor car but in the end the ADR
emissions requirements required for road registration beat me.  A track car
is still on the drawing board though.

I sketched plans to use the Alfetta's engine, propshaft, transaxle, dedion,
torsion bars and lower wishbones, with upper wishbones locally manufactured.
A mob in Europe somewhere makes adjustable tubular wishbones for Alfetta
race cars.

I also investigated reversing the 116 front uprights to allow the steering
rack to be placed forward of the front axle line ( source a LHD steering
rack and invert it or the steering will be reversed !!). This resulted in
lots of unresolved discussion about Ackerman geometry, on which the experts
had differing opinions and no satisfactory conclusion was drawn.

For info, the steering arms on an Alfa 75 are removable whereas the earlier
cars are cast as part of the upright.

I assume you have visited the S.A. AROCA website and viewed the 105 and
Alfetta based Ricciardi's as well as the sports and single seat 'Sud based
Sirrius cars ?    South Aust has quite a few Locost builders hiding in sheds
and long time AROCA member Lloyd Clonan has also recently completed a
(non-Alfa) Clubman.   Adelaide sees an angular all-alloy bodied version of
the Ricciardi at AROCA club events from time to time which may be of
interest.

There is an Alfetta based Locost here:
http://www.racetech.ee/a/cars/est003.htm
This sight shows the Pagano kit car which is strikingly similar to the
Ricciardi:  http://www.pagano.se/  Click on 'bilder' for detailed pics of
the chassis.

If you only use the V6 or 4C Alfa engine, it would be a simple matter to
suitably modify the spaceframe chassis and bodywork to accept it (Alfa
engines are tall), then utilise non-Alfa donor gearboxes and driveline
components for the rest of the car.

If your behind is narrow, you may also be able to utilise a 105 series car
as a donor for most driveline and suspension parts.  The 105 rear end is a
little narrow to allow 2 seats in a clubman type chassis.

Beatle Bayly
'67 Duetto
Katherine NT
Australia