Re: [alfa] V6 Engine swaps

[warning my mail client has put a bogus reply-to: on this message.
if you reply, make sure you check the To: and CC: lines in the
header before sending]

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:23 +0000 webb.p@domain.elided wrote:
>If you have a penchant to go racing, I think CSR goes up to 3.0.   It's a
>tube frame single seater with a 'user supplied' engine.   I'd imagine it
>would be pretty quick.

i'm not so sure of that (i'm on the road and don't have access to my
GCR collection right now.) CSR has engine rules that aren't far off
of Formula Atlantic engine rules (Formula Atlantic is the former
Formula B to all the old timers.) typically, 1600cc is about the max
that you tend to see in CSR. production based motors have been
rare since the Cosworth BDA took over Altantic years ago (the
Toyota 1600cc race motor has since pushed the Cosworth out.)

but it may be that if you put enough weight in the car, the 3.0 may
be legal. i'll check on that when i get home.

> If DSR doesn't fit then ASR certainly would.   No
>turbo charging allowed but ASR is primarily for former Can-Am cars which
>usually pack 800-1200HP in a V12 configuration and weight 1200lbs.

yes, ASR is more likely, although your interpretation is a hair off (only a
hair off.)

ASR basically is a place for second generation Can-Am cars and old
F5000/FA cars (second gen Can-Am basically being F5000/FA cars
with closed fendered body work.) the original classes were the old
mod classes, which the SCCA condensed into A/B/C/DSR many years
ago. ASR is sometimes misused as a dumping ground for "weird cars"
that don't fit anywhere. fortunately, we now have Super Production to
use as that particular dumping ground.

since 1/83, cars in ASR/CSR/DSR need to be homologated; this means
that the engineering drawings have to be submitted to SCCA national
in Topeka for review and approval. if you buy an already approved
but engineless design you can cut that process a lot shorter.

richard